Disclaimer

Disclaimer
The thoughts expressed below are the author's and the author's alone but mind you only at the time they were written. There should be no assumptions made that the author feels or does what is written here all the time. Neither is it safe to assume that even one of the quirks is present in his usual behavior. This is a fair warning - The author is well versed in the art of pagan rituals (curses etc) and is not afraid to use it!!

Sunday, December 12, 2010

The meaning of things

When does something mean something? When does an action mean something? When does a person mean something?
An object, person or action means something when its absence means something. Only then does it mean something to actually exist.
Any existence or action or words that make no difference should not be there at all. Because all they do really is take up space.

So why do them? Why say them? Why wear them? Why buy them?

===================================================================

Now lets say the same damn thing in the way that I usually write -

I was proof reading someone's application for graduate studies to US colleges when I came across a weak passage. I wanted to make it stronger. So I started adding lines. I always write in the same way I speak - in a round-about sing song explanatory way. I was mighty pleased with it and sent it out for a second round of proof reading. This is when I got shouted at. -

When will you grow up? When will you start making sense? When will you stop writing crap?
What is the meaning of this line here? Will it make a difference if I remove it? Will it take away some of the power from this writing piece if someone does that? What??......answer me? Then why did you write it?

There was a time when I let people walk all over me but that is definitely not the situation now, but this guy so gets to me all the time. Worse still.....he makes sense.

He removed the lines and dictated some other ones. Good ones. They were bad constructions and wrong grammatically but they made you sit up and take notice. They made a difference. They were good and my stylish round-about stuff was crap.

It proves one thing - No matter how stylish or correct or fashionable or proper something might be, if its absence does not make a difference, its presence means nothing.
And I have a feeling that the same goes for the things we do in real life as well. The same goes for relationships and our actions and our possessions and our feelings. If any of them did not make a difference by their absence......their presence means nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment