Disclaimer

Disclaimer
The thoughts expressed below are the author's and the author's alone but mind you only at the time they were written. There should be no assumptions made that the author feels or does what is written here all the time. Neither is it safe to assume that even one of the quirks is present in his usual behavior. This is a fair warning - The author is well versed in the art of pagan rituals (curses etc) and is not afraid to use it!!

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Life in Kolkata- 3 – The Godfather

There were numerous times when I have had to use the concepts that were expounded in the Godfather. Remember I said that I was looking forward to being a Godfather in my job. That I would have my own family and that I would have a Toffee Business just like the Godfather’s Olive oil business. Well that is what I have now.

Sales is really a people management business. You have to deal with people, their issues, their hopes and aspirations and then make them work as you want them to work. It is all like an organized crime unit. You have people working under you who have people working under them. It is an unwritten rule not to break the hierarchy. I have very small contact with the people who are my subordinates subordinate, but the times that I do, makes my subordinate make sure that he is doing his job right. Each man profits from the better output of the people below him so each man makes his people’s lives his concern. He has to make sure that they are happy and loyal to the cause. They make money then the boss makes money. It is that simple.

“Manage their expectations”, “Be careful how you say no”….these are some of the things that you have to take care of. A knowing glance tells the junior that his senior is on to him. A raised eyebrow tells him that his demeanor is under criticism. A few questions on the regular matter, with the senior not making eye contact tells the junior that he is in disfavor. It’s amazing. I sometimes even make the cold smile gesture. This is where the lips smile but the eyes don’t. Straight out of the Godfather. Trust me it works like a charm. The person immediately tries to find out what is wrong or starts to give the explanations or making the right sounds.

I sometimes feel….no I get the feeling all the time that the job is changing me. I don’t make funny faces any more. My jokes are wittier and less slapstick. I seem to have the term “Dignity” and “Grace” on my mind rather frequently. And I tolerate less nonsense. Can’t say I like all of this. It is new and I liked the old me. I think he was more harmless and true. This new guy is the sort that is nice and amiable but gives ample signs that you better not cross him. He has that edge to him. To his voice, to his expressions to his everything. No I am not sure I completely like this new me. What I think I need is balance. Or else I will become my job and that is not what I am going to let happen. I am me and I stay me. Period.

Well that’s that for the time being. Will keep you guys posted.

Bye for now…

tata

No comments:

Post a Comment